Social Automations is a Nelio Content feature that automates the process of creating social messages to promote your content on social media. They help you to (a) promote new content at the time of its publication and the upcoming days and hours and (b) reshare old content.
You can always create social messages manually every time you write a new blog post and/or every time you want to reshare old content with your followers—but Nelio Content with Social Automations takes away all the hard work from you and eases an otherwise complex and time-consuming process.
After publishing a new post on your blog, Nelio Content can automatically share it on your social media accounts so that your followers know about it.
By default, and assuming you have an active subscription to our service, Nelio Content will automatically generate one social message per profile upon the post’s publication using Publication templates only.
Alternatively, you can generate a full timeline of social messages to promote the post during the subsequent hours and days, thus reaching a broader audience and making sure nobody misses your content. Usually, you can do this using the Social Media box in the Edit Post screen:
To generate this timeline, you simply need to click on the Customize Timeline button:
and Nelio Content will generate the timeline for you (which you can then customize, if you want to). The social messages it’ll generate are created from three different sources:
- Social Templates. Nelio Content comes with a predefined set of social templates that’ll be used to generate automatic social messages. You can tweak them and customize them easily from the Settings page of our plugin.
- Relevant Sentences. Nelio Content analyzes your post content, summarizes it, and extracts the most relevant sentences included in your post. This sentences are then used to create multiple tweets that perfectly capture the essence of your content, without using any templates.
- Social Highlights. You can also manually highlight the most relevant sentences from your content and Nelio Content will use them in the social messages it creates.
This type of messages are only used at the exact time a post is newly published and during the subsequent hours/days. When a post is one month old or older, then Reshare Messages are used instead.
Reshare messages are used for resharing old content with your followers. They are automatically created using a WordPress CRON job and guarantee that your social accounts are always filled with relevant links to your blog. This is how your editorial calendar might look like if you enable social resharing:
Some reshare messages might be automatically created when you fill the timeline of newly written posts (as described in the section above). However, most of these messages are usually created when needed—that is, when your social accounts are “empty”. Nelio’s resharing algorithm will create multiple social messages using the templates you define in the Settings screen. It select the posts to reshare based on the following criteria:
- Traffic acquisition. The more traffic it generates, the most likely it’ll be reshared.
- Age. Newest post are more likely to be shared than older content. But old posts will still have a chance to get reshared.
- Manual overwrites. If you tell Nelio not to share a specific post, it won’t reshare it automatically.
Customizing Automatic Messages
You can easily customize the behavior of automatic messages. To do that, just go to Nelio Content » Settings and select which social profiles can be used for sharing automatic messages.
Additionally, in the Advanced tab, in the Plugin Setup section you can indicate your preferences about how you want Nelio Content to automatically share content in your social media:
- Include all posts, unless you indicate otherwise. Nelio Content can automatically share any post on your social profiles unless you have explicitly excluded it from re-sharing.
- Exclude all posts, unless you indicate otherwise. Nelio Content will only automatically share those posts that you have manually marked as eligible for automatic sharing.