In a month we will have the largest WordPress event on the continent: WordCamp Europe 2019. With more than 2,500 tickets sold, it will definitely be a WordPress festival with high-quality presentations and workshops. In this post I will summarize everything that’s coming and why you should be there.
A WordCamp is an event organized by volunteers in which to learn more about WordPress along with other users and enthusiasts of the platform. Usually, these are local events where the WordPress community of a certain region meets for a couple of days. One of those days is usually devoted to presentations on various topics related to WordPress (from tips aimed at beginning users to advance tricks and hacks for professionals) and the other is dedicated to contributing to the project itself. With an attendance of between 50 and 350 participants, WordCamps offer a perfect opportunity to network with people around you as you improve your knowledge and learn to contribute to the project.
We have plenty of WordCamps in Spain. The two largest are Madrid and Barcelona, but you have WordCamps all around the country: Irún, Bilbao, Gran Canaria, Pontevedra, Valencia, Málaga, Oviedo…
WordCamp Europe is an event on a totally different scale. Instead of being a local event, it is an international event that aims to bring together people from all over Europe and even attract people from other parts of the globe, such as the United States or Asia.
Talks and Workshops
The first element that draws the attention of WordCamp Europe is the program they have prepared. The event is organized in three days: in the first day, Thursday, June 20, will take place on the Day of the Contributor, and in the next two days, Friday, June 21 and Saturday, June 22, we will have multiple sessions with talks and workshops for all the public.
Here’s a summary of some of the talks I find especially interesting:
- Gutenberg. The new WordPress block editor is now part of the Core, and, therefore, it’s a very hot topic. Aware of this, the organizers scheduled a lot of talks and workshops on Gutenberg in this WordCamp Europe 2019. Some examples are:
- Gutenberg and page builder plugins: Two great tastes that taste great together, by Michele Mizejewski. For all those who use page builders on their websites, a mandatory talk.
- Designing your first Gutenberg block, by Mel Choyce. How to design and create your first block in Gutenberg, for developers who want to start in the new editor. You can complement this talk with the workshop Creating a Gutenberg block, by Elio Rivero.
- Leveraging the power of custom elements in Gutenberg, by Felix Arntz. Learn more about reusable components on the web and how they fit into Gutenberg.
- Growing beyond Gutenberg. From block-based editing to site administration. A discussion panel where we’ll discuss the future of Gutenberg and the role it can play in the WordPress Dashboard.
- Content management and SEO. Another important topic for any website owner is the creation of content and its search engine ranking:
- SEO copywriting workshop, by Jesse van de Hulsbeek, where you will learn how to create quality content that hooks visitors to your website.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle – 7 ways to repurpose content and maximize your efforts, by Yvette Sonneveld. How to reuse and improve the content you already have to give your audience what they want without being repetitive. A lesson in productivity and efficiency!
- Copywriting tricks, techniques, and CTAs for bloggers and marketers to improve conversion rates, by Fernando Tellado. Our good friend and well-known blogger Fernando will give a talk on how to write content that is attractive to your audience and, at the same time, position correctly.
- Business. Part of the success of WordPress lies in the ease with which businesses can be created around this platform. Building plugins, managing websites or designing themes are just a few examples of the endless possibilities of the WordPress ecosystem. This WordCamp will also be about businesses:
- The art of networking, by Francesca Marano. One of the first talks we will have in WordCamp, where we will learn some tricks to relate more effectively. Are you shy? Well, don’t miss this talk and put her tips into practice during WordCamp ?
- The art of pricing, by Rahul Bansal. One of the most complicated tasks that any creator of a product or service faces is to put a price on it. In this talk, Rahul will share his experience with all of us and, hopefully, will unveil some secrets that will help you in the future.
- How fast-growing agencies win business, by Simon Cooke. Discover the ins and outs of how an established agency gets new clients and maintains existing ones. Whether you’re a small business or a freelancer, Simon can inspire you and help you focus on your future strategy.
- Panel on User onboarding and retention. What can we learn from site builders? Discover techniques to reduce the churn-rate of your products with real examples.
And this is just a small sample of everything that awaits us! There will be talks about community, accessibility, growth, design, techniques and development tools… I’m sure you’ll love it!
A fantastic contact plugin using the block editor. In its simplicity lies the true power of this plugin. I love it, very versatile and it worked perfectly for me.
Another of the great reasons why it is worthwhile to go to this WordCamp is Berlin. WordCamp Europe is held every year in a different city of the old continent, and this year the selected one has been the German capital.
Berlin is a cosmopolitan city with a fascinating history. There’s plenty of things to visit and do: the Brandenburg Gate, the Berlin Wall, the East Side Gallery with the famous kiss of Brezhnev and Honecker, exhibitions about Nazism and what it meant… Really, it’s a city worth knowing.
As I was saying, there are already more than 2,500 tickets sold and in the event we may end up being 3,000 souls. There will be people from all over the world and with very varied profiles. If you want network and expand your work opportunities, meet new people, make friends, or just have a good time, an event like this WordCamp is what you need.
See You There?
Nelio‘s team will be in WordCamp Europe 2019, so it’s the perfect opportunity for us to get to know each other while we take a Currywurst followed by a Pretzel ? See you in Berlin?
Featured Image by Håkon Sataøen on Unsplash.
Leave a Reply